We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land. [Kirk + Sheriff]

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land. [Kirk + Sheriff]

Post by Sheriff Jones on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:48 am

Alfred’s flush darkened when the captain offered to help him ‘practice’ his kissing. Despite the fact that they had already established this very odd sort of relationship with one another, he couldn’t help but feel embarrassed by the offer. He was half tempted to call the older man a pervert for suggesting such a thing, but that would have been an overreaction. The offer sounded honest enough and they would be kissing anyway, so it might as well be considered practice to the inexperienced engineer. He tried not to imagine what other lessons the pirate could give him for fear that his red cheeks would never return to their natural color. “That would be nice…” He finally responded, purposely avoiding Arthur’s gaze for fear of embarrassing himself further. Damn Arthur for making him feel so unsure of himself all the time.

Why did he suddenly feel so nervous? It was just Arthur after all. He had spent months purposefully trying to cause him trouble as payback for keeping him locked up and now that they were together, suddenly he no longer knew what was acceptable. Would it still be okay to tease him? He wasn’t sure if he could stop poking fun at the captain if he tried; his reactions were far too funny and cute. Alfred cleared his throat, glad when the other finally spoke. “I’ll send up the tea first,” He promised quickly, before giving himself another once over to be certain he was presentable enough to walk about the ship. The last thing he needed was to run into Francis and have him realize that he had not spent the night in his usual quarters. Ugh, that would be a nightmare.

Just as he was ready to leave, Alfred glanced back at the pirate. Should he ask him to come with him? No, he was probably still feeling rather sick from all the drinking he had done last night - it wouldn’t be right for him to take him away from the comfort of his bed. Then again, he had been stuck in here for months and was probably going stir-crazy from not being able to move around freely. Plus Arthur hadn’t seemed to mind sitting with him while he worked yesterday, apart from the fight they had. Before he could make up his mind, Arthur dismissed him with a wave of his hand and settled back easily onto the mattress. He guessed that settled it than.

“What are you going to do?” He asked in spite of himself. Damn, it wasn’t his place to ask how the other man was going to spend his time alone doing - that was just rude! Still, the engineer persisted. If, for some reason, Arthur was not occupied with anything, he could maybe like to come down with him. It’s not like either of them couldn’t use a bit of company and hopefully they could avoid any particularly nasty fights now that everything was out in the open. “If you aren’t too busy or anything, you could, I mean, I would like it if you came and sat with me again. We could talk or you could embroider, whatever you wanted.” There, that hadn’t sounded too desperate, had it? He had managed not to say embroider in a teasing tone, so hopefully the other man hadn’t taken it as an insult. Alfred bit his lip and looked down, embarrassed once again. “If you’re feeling up to it that is. I understand if you want to stay here and rest.”

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land. [Kirk + Sheriff]

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:50 am

Tea first? Arthur was very pleased by Alfred's priorities. Arthur drank so much tea that the crew joked that he probably bled tea. It came as a bit of a relief to Arthur to note that Alfred seemed just about as awkward and flustered as he was. It meant that this probably wasn't some joke to Alfred, that he wasn't doing this just to find Arthur's weaknesses. Ever wary, Arthur reminded himself that some of his demons should remain hidden. Glancing back at Alfred, Arthur smiled and nodded, "Tea sounds excellent. Though are you sure you'll remember it, git?" Arthur felt stupid for trying to tease Al. He was just so unsure of himself, so the jab seemed forced.

While resisting the urge to slap himself on the head, Arthur noted that Alfred paused in the doorway. Damn, he really must've said something stupid. Why did he try to tease Alfred anyways? He had been trying to make things less awkward, but now he felt more nervous than before! It simply wasn't fair. Should he say something to Alfred? Or would Alfred speak instead? What if Alfred was regretting being together with Arthur? Arthur felt an ugly sort of nervousness twist around in his stomach.

Luckily Alfred broke the silence. "What am I going to do...?" Arthur glanced at Alfred, listening to the other man nervously ramble. A slight blush formed on Arthur's face as he considered the other's suggestion. Arthur tried to will the blush away and frowned. He cleared his throat and spoke, "I don't have anything of great importance to do, so I suppose I could grace you with my presence. Though I must inquire how I will get to your room. I refuse to be carried."

Arthur scooted to the edge of the bed and sat up. He wasn't sure if he should stand up or not. He didn't want to waste the effort if it turned out that Alfred couldn't help him at all. Wait. He still had crutches in his small closet. He'd be able to get around without Alfred's help. It was perfect. "Nevermind about the last bit. I have crutches in my closet," Arthur pointed at it, "If you'd be so kind as to fetch them for me, and then allow me to get dressed as you get the tea, we can meet down in your quarters." Arthur felt proud, knowing that he didn't have to completely rely on someone. If that bothered Alfred, well then, it would be time for one of Arthur's favorite hobbies: lecturing.

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:20 am

Alfred couldn’t help but smile at Arthur’s teasing insult. It sounded forced and awkward, completely different from any of the pirate captain’s previous mocking. Yet, for some reason, the fact that Arthur was acting just as unsure of himself as Alfred was made him realize that perhaps, this was real. “I think I can manage just fine, old man,” He said with a grin, leaning up against the doorframe as he said so. He still wasn’t totally sure what was appropriate to say anymore, but it seemed that Arthur needed a bit of sarcasm to keep the atmosphere light and relaxed - which was more than fine with him.

The engineer was grateful that Arthur didn’t appear to be too offended by his offer. In fact, he looked almost pleased, if not a little embarrassed. Alfred tried not to stare too much for fear of accidentally revealing how cute he thought the other man was. That would be an awkward conversation no doubt, and he really wasn’t looking to get beat over the head for it. “Really?” He confirmed, unable to stop himself from smiling eagerly. Arthur really must like him if he was willing to sit around and watch as he fiddled around with a prosthetic leg all day long. The realization made him giddy every time he thought about it, although he was a tad bit disappointed that he wouldn’t allow for him to carry him back to the control room.

Thankfully Arthur came up with the solution before Alfred had to. Crutches, huh? Silently he wondered whether the other man would be able to make it all the way back down to the control room on his own with only crutches to support him. But than again, this was Arthur, and he wasn’t one for admitting his own weaknesses and probably wouldn’t take the engineers help even if he offered it. “Not a problem,” He replied, heading over to the small closet to pull out the crutches. He lay them beside the bed within Arthur’s reach and smiled again. “I’ll leave it to you then. But ah… call if you need any help.” There, that didn’t sound too overbearing did it? He had a right to be concerned about the man he was currently ‘with’.

Alfred leaned in and stole another quick, chaste kiss before stepping out the door. He flashed Arthur another grin accompanied with a small wave. “See you down there!” He said, before happily making his way out down towards the kitchens. When he arrived, he was relieved to find that everybody else seemed to be perfectly aware of how to fix a proper cup of tea. No doubt if he had been alone, he would have been sure to mess it up. Lovino grumbled angrily, but handed him a tray with a perfectly made cup of Earl Grey along with a mug of steaming hot coffee for Alfred’s enjoyment. He thanked the grumpy man and slowly walked to the control room as to not upset the two drinks.

Alfred managed to make it back without spilling anything, and nudged the door open with his shoulder blade. Arthur hadn’t made it down yet it seemed. He briefly wondered if it would be worth it to go back up and insist the help the stubborn captain, but waved it off. He doubted Arthur liked having to rely totally on other person’s help for something as simple as walking around his own ship. If anything, this was more of a test of his own strength rather than Alfred’s. So he opted to hang back and wait, sipping his coffee as he did so. After all, Arthur wasn’t considered one of the most feared pirates in the galaxy for nothing - he could handle the short trek just fine.

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Arthur smiled gratefully at Alfred when he was handed the crutches. If it hadn't been for Alfred, well, Arthur's ship would have been utterly ravaged by the Reavers, and both Arthur and his crew would have suffered an untimely and unpleasant demise. Though it looked like if Arthur hadn't kidnapped Alfred, the other man would have shared a similar fate. "Don't think I'm going soft, Alfred. I can handle getting around my ship on these here crutches. They work better than that damned prosthetic," Arthur smirked a bit. "I'm not some old man with a thrown back or injured hip. So don't waste your energy fussing over me so much."

When Alfred leaned over to kiss Arthur, the pirate got even more flustered. Trying to regain composure, he shouted at the other man, "Don't trip! And watch where you're going, you idiot!" Arthur waved to Alfred as the other man left. He doubted the other would pay any heed to his warning. Arthur could see the other tripping over himself in excitement, and was quite convinced that Alfred did it on a regular basis. Though Arthur did admit that he was rather looking forward to a warm cup of tea. It was truly one of life's simple pleasures and one of his old habits he had kept from his old life. It reminded him a bit of home, and served to calm his nerves.

Arthur managed to stand up and get ready to move around using the crutches. The determined pirate began to hobble out of his room and through the ship, heading to Alfred's room. It should not have been a troublesome trip, yet Arthur paused. He and Alfred had gone from hating each other to being together in a matter of about a day. Was this really possible? Was this just a farce? He felt the ugly creature of doubt wriggle around in his head, making him feel a bit sick. What if this little affair left Arthur even more vulnerable? Alfred was already thinking he had gone soft. He had already lost his life once, and now he was missing a leg. Could he really afford to lose what little he had managed to cling to as a pirate? Arthur considered just heading to the kitchen and back to his room.

Then again, he would be standing Alfred up, and Arthur knew he would kill the other man for doing such a thing. He wondered if he could afford to lose this little chance of love he had been given. Perhaps not. But being with Alfred did make him happy, even Arthur couldn't deny that. He would just have to be careful, incredibly so. Without realizing it, Arthur had paused for an embarrassingly long time. He was sure that Alfred would mistake his emotional crisis for a physical health one. Frankly, the prospect of Alfred believing either of those explanations was not good. It was another show of vulnerability and Arthur cursed himself. He was a pirate! Not some unsure schoolgirl in love!

With a determined expression on his face, Arthur made his way to Alfred's room, though a bit exhausted by the time he arrived. He supposed the small breather he had unwittingly given himself had assisted things a bit. "I do hope the tea hasn't gotten cold. Otherwise you're just going to have to fetch me a new one," Arthur chuckled as he moved into Alfred's room, trying to replicate his earlier persona of a rather egotistical and entitled captain. Yet, he could not keep himself from giving Alfred a fond smile.

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:47 am

Alfred smiled when the pirate captain finally decided to grace him with his presence. “There you are old man. I thought you’d gotten lost or something.” He laughed, pushing himself out of his desk chair. In truth, he had been more concerned that the other man had taken a tumble somewhere along the way and hadn’t been able to stand again. But for the sake of Arthur’s pride, Alfred had managed to control the desire to run back and offer his assistance. There was something else though. As he sat there waiting, the darker part of Alfred’s mind let whispers of doubt seep into his usual optimism. What if, perhaps, this was just an elaborate scam to hurt him or use him? What if Arthur never really wanted him in the first place?

Arthur wouldn’t have come if he didn’t want to see me, he reminded himself. He wouldn’t have bothered to converse with me at all if he only wanted to use me. Despite this, Alfred couldn’t help but feel a little unsure about the pirate’s intentions, but he tried not to make it too apparent. Arthur was there now, and that was all that mattered. He shouldn't be bothered by all these 'what if's' when Arthur was there to see him. “I think it should still be warm enough, but let me know and I’d be more than happy to get you another one if it doesn’t suit your standards.” Alfred grinned and stepped towards his work table, setting his half empty mug beside him. “Although how you drink that stuff at all is beyond me. You really should try coffee sometime. It’s delicious.” To prove his point, he happily took another long gulp from his steaming mug.

Now that his energy restored thanks to the perfectly brewed cup of pure caffeine (courtesy of Lovino), Alfred eagerly rolled up his sleeved and settled right back into work. There wasn’t much else to do besides attach the belts and fashion up a foot, but he had to remind himself not to rush. This was for Arthur, and it needed to be perfect. Speaking of… would Arthur feel bored or neglected if Alfred was working instead of paying attention to him? Well, they had managed alright yesterday, but that was before this whole business of getting together had happened. Did it need to be different? Alfred cleared his throat and pointed to the desk in the corner. “You can use my desk, you know. I doubt there’s much in there that would interest you, but I’ve got some paper and stuff. If you wanted to do something…” He trailed off awkwardly before quickly turning his focus back down to the project before him. Why did everything have to suddenly be so confusing?

"Um so..." What to say? What to say? "Will you tell me something about yourself? Something true. Not like, what your favorite color is, but something that you usually don't tell people." Damn, that was one of the most convoluted statements he had ever made. And even worse, he had made it sound rude and intrusive! Fuck, there was no way Arthur would ever tell him anything that mattered if that was the way he went about wording questions. "I'll tell you something in return... If you want." Did that make things any better? Gah, this was too confusing! In the world of technology, he excelled to standards that were considered unattainable by someone who came from no worthy educational backgrounds. And yet, when it came to acting like a normal human being, he was utterly clueless. How was that fair?

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:53 pm

It pleased Arthur to note that Alfred seemed to brighten up when he entered the room. It made Arthur feel... well, loved. He hoped he could inspire the same feelings in the other man, though Arthur doubted it. "And then, of course, I would have lost my walker and shouted, 'Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" Arthur rolled his eyes. "Don't you have any other insults besides 'old man', we've been over this. Or perhaps, your insulting skills are simply shamefully rusty. Tsk tsk." Arthur shook his head and sighed dramatically. He used his crutches to move across the room and to his tea and Alfred.

Arthur took a sip of tea. While it was a bit too cold to be perfect, the tea was passable. Though it was also ruined by the fact that he could smell the noxious fumes that wafted from Alfred's coffee. He wrinkled his nose, "Drink coffee? Don't be silly. I can't even stand the smell of that vile fluid. However, I think /you/ should drink tea." Arthur did love his tea, and couldn't comprehend that it would be possible to dislike it.

Arthur chuckled a bit when Alfred awkwardly tried to suggest ways to amuse him. "Alfred, lad, I'm not some child that needs to be distracted and amused all the time. Simply talking to you or observing your work will do. If not, well, I can amuse myself," he offered Alfred a smile. Alfred's concern for him was flattering nonetheless. It was sweet, and Arthur fought to contain another blush. He mentally cursed Alfred for being so endearing and adorable. It simply was not fair, Arthur decided.

"Alright, sounds fair. Though you must hold up your end of the bargain and tell me something about yourself," Arthur agreed to Alfred's suggestion. It was a good idea to help them get to know each other. But what could Arthur say? Something that wasn't stupid or foolish, clearly. He couldn't tell Alfred anything that would make the other man hate him. But he wanted to be honest, or at least try to. After thinking for a while, Arthur decided to speak, "When I was a young lad, I had a bit of a crush on an older child. It was simply puppy love, like many children get. I was 7 or 8, while he was 12 or 13... It was nothing serious, and he thought of me as his little brother, I suppose. But I suppose you could say it was my first love," Arthur admitted. "He was a good lad... Protected me from bullies and whatnot. My infatuation with him was silly, I suppose," Arthur continued, not sure how to go about this story. He was already regretting picking this one. Alfred was curious about him, and he started off by talking about someone else. He took a deep breath, it was hard to talk about this, and his doubts were only making it worse. "But... he died. He was only 15. What a shame... I'm sorry, I don't know why I brought that up in the first place. You probably don't want to know about who else I've liked." Arthur bit his lip. Surely he had said too much

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Arthur’s teasing comments helped to calm Alfred’s doubting mind, bringing an easy smile to his face. He liked that the other man had a sense of humor. Sure he tended to favor a darker, more sarcastic style, but the engineer could appreciate a good joke when it was thrown his way. “Yeah, you’ve got me beat in the insult department. But if you ever need help pulling pranks, I’m your man.” He winked playfully at the pirate captain before turning his attention back to his work. From the time he was a little kid throughout his training in the Federation, he was infamous for his pranks. Actually, now that he thought about it, it was surprisingly how often he managed to avoid getting beat for all the stunts he pulled. Must have been his charming personality.

Alfred wrinkled his nose at the prospect and clutched his coffee mug protectively to his chest. “Hey now, don’t hate on my coffee. This stuff is freakishly delicious. Besides, I’ve tried tea before and I am not looking to repeat the experience.” He cringed dramatically at the memory. Ugh, the things his ‘family’ forced him to consume during his childhood under the pretense that it was good for him. It was a wonder that he managed to survive at all.

The engineer was both relieved and mortified when Arthur chuckled. He must have really sounded foolish, hadn't he? Arthur wasn’t a child, he didn’t need constant supervision, least of all from him. Well actually, scratch that. He didn’t need constant supervision unless there was rum in the room. From his behavior last night, Alfred felt it was safe to assume that the pirate needed all the help he could get when he was drunk. “Right sorry. I just, ah… yeah.” Alfred sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, offering a smile in return. As weird as it may sound, Arthur was good at putting him at ease again. He embarrassed the hell out of him and constantly harassed him with well-timed insults and mocking criticism, but could comfort him just as easily. Who knew?

Alfred worked diligently as the silence dragged on. Had he crossed a line he shouldn’t have? Arthur had been quiet for an awfully long time. Perhaps he was asking too much for how new their relationship was. He was just about to apologize and suggest a topic change when the older man spoke. A childhood crush. Out of everything Arthur could have told him, speaking of his first love was not the subject he would have expected. The engineer slowly put down his tool, smiling softly as he watched Arthur speak about the boy who had taken his heart as a child. A part of him wondered if he should feel jealousy. But the thought of a young Arthur Kirkland pining after his friend and protector was far too sweet for him to taint. However, the story did not end so happily. Alfred’s smile faded away when he heard the end of the tale, leaving him to stare sadly down at the man before him.

“Why are you apologizing?” He asked, honestly confused as to why the other would ever think he had to defend his own feelings. “I want to know everything about you, that includes the difficult things.” Alfred slowly stepped around his work table and took the pirate’s hand. Keeping his expression gentle, he slowly brought Arthur’s hand to his lips and pressed a light kiss across his knuckles. Having lost someone so important at such a young age must have been terrible. He could only imagine how much Arthur had suffered and was still suffering because of it. Pain like that did not vanish so easily - Alfred knew that from experience. “Can I ask what happened? To the boy I mean. You don’t have to tell me. I understand if you can’t talk about it anymore right now.”

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:00 am

"Freakishly delicious? I believe the term is freakishly disgusting. I don't see how you can stand to smell it, let alone ingest it. With such a noxious smell, coffee simply seems more poisonous than delicious. Tea, on the other hand, tastes wonderful and is traditional. I've been drinking it since I was in diapers," Arthur replied with a slight huff, leaning away from the coffee so that he wouldn't have to smell it. Tea, in Arthur's opinion, was the epitome of drinks. It was warm, soothing, and delicious. It didn't hurt to have a bit of caffeine in it too.

A few awkward moments passed between the two, leaving Arthur feeling more self-conscious than before. Did Alfred really like him? They didn't seem particularly comfortable around each other. Then again it was a new relationship, and they had spent their previous time together hating each other, so he supposed a little awkwardness might even be normal. As always, Arthur had his doubts, trying to prepare himself for a betrayal or a loss that seemed inevitable.

"Apologizing...? Well, I... I thought you might be jealous. It's not particularly polite to talk about past loves, especially when we've been together for less than a day," Arthur tried to explain himself. He was a bit surprised, and miffed that Alfred wasn't jealous. Then again, to Alfred, Arthur's friend probably seemed so distant that he wasn't a threat. At that moment, Alfred seemed so caring and gentle, that Arthur wondered why jealousy would even be able to express what Alfred felt for him. He blushed a bit when Alfred pressed a kiss to his hand. It was a gesture that made the closet romantic in Arthur's heart swoon. "No- I... I brought it up, so I should finish the story," Arthur shook his head and tried to gather his thoughts.

"My friend- Wart, we called him- was murdered," Arthur tried to get the hardest part stated first. He hadn't mentioned this story to anyone in a very long time. "That day, I had been bullied again, and Wart had promised to take me to an ice cream shop to get some ice cream and improve both of our days. So I went to our front porch, and waited for him. He never arrived. I found out about... the event later. Well, as much as I could, really. They simply said he was murdered- by his own family too. I was a child so, they never said anything more about that. I saw him buried a week later, yet I... I sometimes still think he's finally going to come back and get me that blasted ice cream he promised. Silly, isn't it?" Arthur felt his voice start to shake, and cursed the few traitorous tears that managed to escape. He quickly wiped them off and hoped that Alfred wouldn't notice.

He waited a bit to collect himself before speaking again, "I believe it's your turn now. I'm curious about you." it was quite true. The other man was largely a mystery to Arthur. Though Arthur did know the basic details that Alfred was a poor kid who joined the federation to seek justice and freedom, yet found neither.

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:53 pm

How was it possible that this man was the same Captain Kirkland that had only months ago been threatening his life? He was flushing and acting far too cute than any infamous pirate had any right to. The more time Alfred spent with the pirate captain, the more he saw passed the hardened persona he put on. Arthur wasn’t as heartless as he would have liked people to believe. He was sensitive and had a number of painful memories haunting him. Now that Alfred had been allowed to hear more about him, he began to understand why he was so unwilling to let people get close to him. It simply hurt too much.

“Jealous? Well, maybe a little since I didn’t get cast into the role of ‘first love’,” He teased, trying to lighten the atmosphere a bit. “But honestly, I’m glad you told me. Hearing about you, the way you once were and the feelings you had… I dunno, it makes this all seem more real. Please don’t worry about upsetting me. I want to know.” Alfred continued to smile encouragingly at the other man, lightly caressing his hand with the pad of his thumb. He never believed that breaking down their respected barriers would be easy. But if they were truly going to establish any sort of trust within their relationship, it needed to happen. Hopefully when it was all said and done, they would be able to handle the other’s true self.

Alfred continued to hold Arthur’s hand as he finished up his story. So the boy had been murdered. A kind boy who watched out for his friends and stood up against bullies was murdered. By his own family nonetheless. Alfred felt sick. The sound of Arthur’s voice shaking pulled him back to the reality of the situation and he snapped back into focus just in time to catch sight of tears slipping down the captain’s cheeks. Alfred didn’t speak as he closed the space between them, pulling the grieving man into a soft embrace. Loss was always hard, but for a child, the injustice must have nearly killed him. “I’m sorry…” He said quietly, both out of grief that something so horrible had happened and for asking him to talk about it.

He held Arthur close as he collected himself once more. When he heard the other ask for him to hold up his end of the bargain, Alfred pulled back and flashed him a gentle smile. “Fair enough,” He agreed, stepping around the table to begin working once more. He was quiet for a long moment, silently wondering what he could possibly say without jumping too quickly into heavy topics. “I was fourteen when I signed up to join the Federation. I lied about my age to gain admittance as a student, you already know that. But ah… I lied about something else too.”

If he continued on with this, Arthur was going to think he was moron, no questions asked. But the captain had trusted him enough to reveal his childhood tragedy; he should trust him enough with this. “You see… when I signed up, I didn’t quite understand what being a student meant. I thought they were just going to teach me how to fight and that was it. But then they handed me this book and I…” Alfred stared down at the table beneath him, praying to the stars that Arthur wouldn’t leave him after he admitted this. “I can’t read.” He said quietly, unable to meet Arthur’s gaze. “I was never taught. So the Federation nearly kicked me out. I never did my homework, never took any of my tests, or attended any classes. The only thing that saved me was this,” He pointed down at the device in front of him. No matter how hard he worked, that was the only thing he was ever any good for.

Alfred went quiet after that, half expecting Arthur to leave now or start laughing at him for his ignorance. He had always wished to learn how to read, but his status as a slave and later his own embarrassment kept him from ever trying. It was safer to stay within the worlds of math and science. At least that he understood.

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:14 am

As soon as the tears had managed to escape, Arthur felt himself be pulled into a gentle embrace. "Don't be sorry... But I do appreciate the sentiment," Arthur murmured softly. Alfred seemed genuinely upset by his tale, and Arthur almost regretted telling it to him. But, in this moment, Alfred seemed trustworthy. Perhaps the other man wasn't out to get him and truly did have some form of affection for Arthur. Arthur hoped that he really didn't have to worry about the other betraying him. If he could count on Alfred, then Arthur would never intentionally harm the other man. "Thank you... for listening," Arthur couldn't properly express how grateful he was that Alfred had been able to simply listen to his story.

Arthur pouted a bit when Alfred released him from the hug. So what if Alfred had to work on Arthur's prosthetic? Arthur quite liked hugs, provided they were in private where nobody else could see them, that is. Plus, Alfred was like a big teddy bear that warm and soft. Stupid engineer, how was the pirate going to resist? After a short pause, Alfred began to speak. Lying about so many things, the other man must have been desperate to get away. Arthur wondered how unpleasant the place Alfred had came from was, especially if joining the Federation seemed like a better option. He nodded solemnly, to signify that he was listening and didn't want to interrupt the story.

Alfred seemed to be avoiding Arthur's gaze, clearly humiliated by whatever secret this was. Arthur worried for the other man, wondering what sort of horrible skeleton was hiding in the closet. Arthur listened intently, gaze never straying from Alfred. The pirate was greatly surprised when he found out that Alfred couldn't read. That simple fact had never occurred to Arthur, he had simply assumed that an intelligent young man like Alfred could read. Being illiterate was absolutely a tragedy in Arthur's mind. Literature and writing were two of Arthur's greatest joys, and the fact that they were inaccessible to some was simply abominable. When Alfred looked down at his work, Arthur used the chance to walk over and place his hand on Alfred's. There was simply one thing to do about all this.

"Git," Arthur declared, "I'm going to teach you how to read, and there's not a damn thing you can say or do to convince you otherwise." It was true, Alfred had little choice in the matter. Arthur had decided that Alfred was going to learn come hell or high water. The pirate had never taught anyone else to read or write, but he was stubborn and frankly wasn't going to give up until Alfred could read. "I'm assuming you also can't write, considering the fact that you need to read to do so. I shall teach you that too, so do not fret. Though you're going to make time for this every day." Arthur's statements were more orders than actual suggestions or questions. "So finish up this silly prosthetic and we can begin our lessons!" So perhaps the pirate was just a little impatient.

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:16 am

A smile found it’s way onto Alfred’s face when the other man spoke. ‘Thank you’, that was what he had said. Such a simple statement and yet, hardly anybody who used it ever truly meant it anymore. But with Arthur… well, he didn’t have to be looking in order to tell how much listening had meant to him. Had it really been so long since he had been able to speak freely with someone? From the quiet, grateful expression buried deeply within Arthur’s emerald gaze, Alfred could safely assume that the answer was yes. “I’ll always be there to listen when you need it,” He promised with an easy smile. He would be too. For as long as the other man had need for him - he would be there.

The moments after he admitted his illiteracy were the most stressful in his young life. He expected Arthur to turn away from him right then and there without so much as a sparing a glance in his direction. Why would he bother with him now? He wasn’t educated, he wasn’t worthy of any sort of attention. No doubt an intelligent man like Arthur would rather spend his time with someone who could keep up with him intellectually. Someone who wasn’t like Alfred.

The engineer flinched when a hand came to rest on top of his own. Oh no, it was even worse then he had expected. Instead of leaving without explanation, Arthur was going to tell him right then and there why he wasn’t good enough. Alfred tensed, preparing to have his tender hopes shattered when the pirate captain decided to throw him a curve ball. “What?” Alfred snapped his head up, instantly meeting the other’s gaze. He couldn’t have possibly said what he thought he did. There was no way that he had offered that... right? “You’re going to… but… I thought you would have…” Arthur was going to teach him how to read and write. That was more then he had ever allowed himself to hope for, even after he had escaped from slavery into the ranks of the Federation.

Alfred dropped his tools and leaned forward, blue eyes shinning with gratitude. “Really? I mean… I want to learn and I… I can’t even tell you how much it would mean if you would… and…” Alfred stopped trying to explain himself, instead opting to launch himself across the table to pull the other man into a heated kiss. Not only had Arthur stayed by him but, he was giving him the opportunity to better himself and learn. Never in his life had he ever believed it would be possible, but here it was. The engineer pulled away, face flushed with pure joy. “Thank you. I’ll try my best not to disappoint you Arthur.” He smiled eagerly and went right back to work, attaching the leather belts on with newfound confidence. A proper education and Arthur would be his teacher. The thought alone sent shivers of happiness down his spine. This was more then he could have possibly hoped for.

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:09 am

Arthur felt the other man flinch and tense up when he laid his hand upon Alfred's. Did Alfred really think that Arthur would hurt him? Then again, given his track record, Arthur supposed it was understandable, despite feeling rather insulted. Alfred's head had snapped up, allowing Arthur to get a good look at the lost and almost hopeful look. Alfred clearly had his hopes of literacy dashed before, which made Arthur even more determined to teach the other man. "Being illiterate is an absolute tragedy. I simply cannot abide you remaining so. The only solution is to teach you. It's simply logical," Arthur tried to explain, in hopes of comforting the engineer.

Then the other man leaned closer, fumbling with words of gratitude before giving up and dragging Arthur into a heated kiss. It seemed both of them found it easier to express themselves with actions, rather than words. Not that Arthur minded the kiss, in face, he thoroughly enjoyed it. He wondered why he didn't spend more of his time kissing Alfred, it was probably that nasty business of needing to breathe. When Alfred pulled away from the kiss, Arthur found his expression to be breathtaking. Alfred was happy, and it showed. The fact that a mean and rotten pirate like Arthur could actually cause such joy in someone else was a rather startling fact for Arthur. He had grown used to feeling like the villain in a story. Somehow, Arthur felt as though one of the many things weighing him down had lightened a bit.

By this point, Alfred had diligently returned to work. With all the time and care Alfred was putting into it, Arthur was sure it would be a damn good leg. How quickly he had gone from thinking that Al would sabotage his leg to trusting the other man's work! Arthur really wanted to slide over to Alfred and pull him into an embrace, yet Alfred was working, and Arthur wanted his leg to be finished on time. Couple stuff would have to wait, the pirate reluctantly decided. Unfortunately, a rather obnoxious laugh echoed from the doorway, and made Arthur's hair instinctively stand on in as his mind hissed 'Frog...'

"Spending time with ton nouveau amant, Arthur? I was surprised you were able to keep it a secret from moi for so long, non? So how did you get petit Alfred into your bed?" Francis stood at the doorway, wiggling his brows suggestively. He never missed a chance to harp on Arthur, and Arthur never gave up a chance to insult or injure Francis. Arthur was a brilliant shade of red at this point, and his fists were clenched tight. He wanted to walk over and throttle Francis, but the medic would be able to walk off before Arthur even got halfway across the room.

(( OOC: Translation notes!:
ton nouveau amant = your new lover
I don't think I really need to translate the other two, but *le shrug*
moi = me
petit = little ))

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:30 am

‘Logical’ or not, Alfred was thrilled beyond belief that the captain was going to take the time to teach him to read and write. Nobody had ever showed much interest in educating him further, save for developing his engineering skills. Once those surpassed expectations, he was permitted to do what he wished, provided he worked hard and did as he was told. It wasn’t a bad gig compared to the lifestyle of many of the other slaves he knew. Plus, he liked his work. But there was a part of him that always wished to know more. While he could be considered a genius with technology, there was a separate world that he was totally cut off from. He wanted to explore it, to know what lay beyond those nonsensical scribbles he always saw when he opened up the pages of a book. And now, Arthur was giving him that opportunity.

“Still… I can’t thank you enough,” He said gently, working in the metal bindings into the belts to keep them in place. There was no way he could properly express his gratitude, but that didn’t stop him from trying. It was strange to think that a few months ago, he hated the other man for stealing his life away. Now he saw Arthur for what he was truly doing - opening up a new, brighter future for him to grasp. How odd life could be sometimes.

Alfred gripped the leather straps and tugged on them harshly to test their durability. He quickly located any weak points within the material and worked them down with metal bolts until he was satisfied they would last. Of course, he would work on making spare prosthetics for Arthur if anything did ever happen to the current one, but he wanted it to last nonetheless. This was something he could do for the other man in return and he wanted it to be absolutely perfect. After all, he owed the other man his life and more. A silly metal leg was the least he could do to repay him.

The sound of a familiar laugh pulled Alfred out of his focused state. The engineer winced and glanced over at Arthur, already preparing for violence. Of course, out of everybody on the damn ship, it had to be the perverted medic. “Hello Francis,” He said easily, tightening a screw at the base of the prosthetic. In all honesty, he didn’t mind the flamboyant blond. He was entertaining at the very least, and wasn’t the worst person to converse with, granted he didn’t have to spend a lot of time in his presence. But it was common knowledge that the captain and Francis did not get along. Why they bothered to work together at all was beyond Alfred, but he had decided long ago not to question it. If they wanted to spend their days bickering, far be it for him to stop them.

Alfred tried his best not to flush at the insinuation. Well, technically it was true that they slept together, although there hadn’t been anything sexual about it. But if he had to guess, Arthur probably didn’t want the infuriating medic to know about their relationship. “Is there something you needed Francis? I‘m just about done if you need me to do some work.” Alfred said as he stood the completed prosthetic up to examine it one last time. Perfect as usual, but now came the real test. The engineer stepped closer to the flushing pirate and crouched down, fastening the belts around his leg. He tightened it accordingly, checked the metal joints over one last time before pulling away. Now it was up to Arthur to see what needed to be improved or changed, although he was confident his work would suit the other much better then the wooden stump he had been using before.

“That should do it. Why don’t you give it a try? Oh, and just so you know, the metal may be light, but if you need to… say, kick somebody, it’s gonna hurt like a bitch. Duel purposes, you know?” Alfred grinned at that and flashed Arthur a wink as he set about cleaning up his work area. Arthur was going to figure it out sooner or later anyway. And besides, after having to deal with Francis watching over him all the time, he figured the older man deserved a little fun.

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Arthur could help but watch closely as Alfred worked. The other man seemed so focused and careful. Arthur could not deny that Alfred had a talent with engineering. The pirate had once thought the other man brutish and clumsy, but it turned out that Alfred had a certain grace and delicacy when it came to building and fixing things. Though it did help that Alfred had a kind disposition, even if he had acted rude when they had first met. Yet, somehow their first meeting seemed incredibly distant despite it being only a matter of months ago. Arthur could hardly believe he was together with someone, let alone with Alfred.

"You needn't thank me. It's really not a trouble for me," Arthur tried to wave off Alfred's thanks. The other's gratitude and appreciation left Arthur feeling quite flustered and embarrassed, so he wanted to quickly change the subject. Alas, the interruption that arrived was not what Arthur wanted.

Francis brushed his hair out of his face. "Non, non, I was just curious as to where our petit captain hobbled off to. I suspected 'e was here. It is a shame I missed you making beautiful love." As a proper romantic (unlike a certain bitter pirate), Francis could almost picture it. The engineer and the captain, caught in the throes of passion, pressing up against each other, kissing desperately as if each moment could be their last. They wouldn't care how they discarded their clothes, just wanting to get closer to becoming one as if it was the most natural thing for them. They would get hotter and hotter as they grew closer and finally as sweet, beautiful release was about to take him Arthur would breathlessly murmur 'Alfred- Je t'ai-"

"Oi, Frog, stop coming up with awful stories. You're about as charming as the horrible green ooze that is in the fridge after that damned Lovino refuses to clean it for a few months. So get lost!" Arthur interrupted Francis' fantasy as he attached his new leg on. Sadly, as soon as Arthur was halfway across the room, ready to break his new leg in the posterior of the medic, Francis had already winked and blown a kiss before fleeing down the hall and away from the irate pirate. "Stupid bloody git, I don't know why I keep a prat like him around," Arthur grumbled, though it was mostly to himself.

He supposed the next logical step would be to examine his new leg and how it felt. It was unbelievably better than his wooden leg or his crutches, and if Arthur could clearly remember how his own leg had felt, he'd imagine it felt similar. Though it would certainly take some getting used to, but the leg worked. The pirate could not hide a relieved smile. With this leg, he might even be able to be almost as mobile as he had been before. But how was he supposed to thank Alfred? Words seemed cheap and paltry compared to the fact that he had a leg once more.

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:20 am

The more time he spent with Francis, the more convinced he was that there was something seriously wrong with his mind. Alfred watched Francis go starry-eyed as he went off imaging some R-rated and possibly deranged fantasy that centered around himself and the captain. What a creeper. Honestly, who went around imagining their friends and acquaintances performing acts of intimacy? Well, probably a lot of people, but with Francis, he was always concerned that he was getting a tad bit too excited when he started off to fantasy land. It always made Alfred feel somewhat… violated whenever he was involved. Ugh, damn perverted pirates.

Thankfully, Arthur was more then capable of ridding them of the unwanted presence. The moment Alfred stepped away, the pirate captain was already crossing the room, ready to test out his new limbs kicking ability on his least favorite crewmate. Francis was quicker though and was already well out of harms reach before Arthur was even halfway across the room. Too bad, he had been looking forward to seeing what kind of power the prosthetic held, but at least that got rid of the perverted medic. Alfred caught the half mumbled complaint and offered a light chuckle in response. As much as either of them would like to deny it, the engineer suspected that the two were friends through all their bickering and murder attempts. Of course, he would rather remain breathing, so he kept his opinions to himself.

Alfred silently checked over the newly fitted prosthetic, grinning in pride when he saw the smile tug at Arthur’s lips. “You like it?” He asked, beginning to clean up the metal scraps and tools that littered his work bench. His first attempt at a metal prosthetic was well received, and he couldn’t help but swell with pride at the accomplishment. “I’ll work on making you a set of spares and replacements in case something happens, but for now, just work on walking with that one. If there are any problems or if you think of anything that you would like added or taken off, I’ll be more then happy to modify it.” Alfred finished clearing off the table and looked up, offering the other man a small grin. Only a few months ago, he would have violently refused to offer the captain any sort of assistance and now, all he wanted was to bring a little happiness into Arthur’s life. How much had changed since their first meeting.

Alfred stepped around the table, making his way over to Arthur, the smile never leaving his face. He could only imagine what this meant to the other man. After so long of remaining in solitude, unable to move and being forced to all but relinquish his duties as captain - he was now free to do as he wished. The relief must be indescribable. With this in mind, Alfred stopped before the other man, bowed with all the grace he possessed and held out his hand. “Arthur Kirkland, would you honor me with a stroll about the ship?” Alfred smiled brightly as he attempted to imitate the mannerisms of a typical ‘gentleman’ caller. Of course, he had no real experience with this and was simply using various movie scenes as reference. In any event, he hoped Arthur would humor him. He felt as if a simple walk would do wonders for the other man.

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:38 am

Arthur glanced over at Alfred when the other let out a chuckle. His ongoing feud with Francis was presumably a source of comedy for the engineer. Rolling his eyes, Arthur crossed his arms and said, "Silly prat." The insult, however, was an affectionate one, rather than the usual grumpy grumble. He held back the urge to pull Alfred into a kiss, still feeling quite flustered by Francis' earlier taunting. Arthur told himself that he needn't be so flustered, but that didn't change anything.

The pirate observed Alfred cleaning up, glad that the other man was keeping his quarters clean. Arthur was a man who enjoyed neatness, especially on his beloved ship. His ship was almost as important as tea, which was certainly something to say in Arthur's case. The ship had taken damage, but had since been repaired. With his own wounds and healing process, Arthur felt a certain camaraderie with his ship. As for Alfred's offers, the lad was certainly generous, and Arthur was quite surprised. As much as his pride told him to refuse any further assistance, Arthur couldn't help but offer a grateful smile. "Thank you, Alfred," he stated. He told himself that it would be simpler this way. The engineer would only pester him until he agreed if Arthur tried to refuse. Though, Arthur reminded himself, together or not, this would be the last time he accepted assistance from Alfred.

Arthur couldn't help but chuckle a bit as the other man tried to imitate a gentleman. Rather than seeming regal, it was simply adorable. As Alfred offered his hand, Arthur bowed slightly and took it. However, Arthur simply couldn't humour Alfred that much. Using his best cockney accent, Arthur tried to act as ungentlemanly as he could. "Aye, I think tha' t'would be loverly," Arthur spoke, before dragging the engineer down into a kiss. It was simply too much fun to tease poor Alfred.

He supposed that after the kiss, he'd take Alfred up on his offer. But for the moment, Arthur wanted to enjoy the kiss, pulling the other man close and wrapping his arms around Alfred's neck. Unfortunately, this moment of intimacy was ruined by a certain medic peeking back in. "Ah! Trés bien! L'amour is beautiful, non? Though I didn't know you two could go at it so often," Francis commented with a teasing laugh. He was ready to flee, however, knowing that the grumpy pirate would soon be on his trail.

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Alfred was generally a forgiving, easy-going individual. He dealt with conflict well and, in many respects, had a mild temper. But the moment that damn Frenchman interrupted his and Arthur's kiss, he was ready to deliver Francis a solid punch to the stomach. Only by sheer will power was he able to resist. No, he had to remind himself. There were far better means by which to rid them of this pesky problem.

The engineer pulled away, flashed Arthur a mischievous smile as he casually leaned back across his work table (careful to keep a firm hand on Arthur’s arm least he go try and beat Francis senseless). His fingertips grasped for the thin control he kept lodged underneath his desk, the one he had built in response to the Reaver attack all those months ago. He flashed Francis a grin, held up the control, and positioned his finger above the bright red button. “I’d move back if I were you.” That was all the warning he gave before he pressed down on the button. Instantly, the metal door slammed shut with incredible force, effectively separating them from the annoying voyeur… and possibly taking off his nose in the process. Oh well, that’s what he got for pissing him off.

Alfred grinned happily, tossed the control back to it’s rightful place on the table and pulled Arthur into his arms. “So um… where were we again?” The engineer did not bother to wait for a response. Instead he looped his arms around Arthur’s torso, pulled him up and meet his lips halfway in another heated kiss. He could definitely get used to this…

Nearly a month had passed since his and Arthur’s odd relationship began.

Alfred could scarcely believe that only a few weeks had gone by when already so much had happened. Arthur had begun to make a comeback as the captain he once had been. He went about the ship, barking orders and intimidating crew mates, aided by his fully functional prosthetic - clearly grateful to be walking under his own power again. He had also made good on his promise to teach Alfred to read and write. The two had successfully gone through the English alphabet and were currently working on simple word structures. Alfred, so ecstatic by his new skill, often wrote out his daily words out on scraps of paper (his penmanship was crooked and wide like a child’s) and slipped them under Arthur’s door to show his improvement. Whether the captain was pleased by these notes or not, he had no idea - but that didn’t stop him from doing it anyway.

Life continued about the ship normally. Word traveled quickly about him and the captain (courtesy of Francis), and he got teased occasionally, but it was all in good humor. He woke up in the mornings, drank his coffee, worked about the ship or tinkered, practiced his words, and spent the evenings with Arthur. It wasn’t the most exciting of routines, but he was happy and steadily found himself growing more comfortable with his situation. He liked Arthur, quite a bit now that their relationship had had a chance to move past the awkward beginnings (although the uncomfortable moments of confusion still occurred). They traded stories, spoke often, held hands, and kissed a little a lot. Alfred was happy with the way their relationship had progressed, but it still felt too… guarded. He himself had not relinquished any of his darker secrets, and he guessed it was the same for Arthur. Which is why he had pushed to add a new level of trust between the two of them.

Alfred wanted to get off this ship. Desperately. He had spent months stuck staring at the same grey walls and needed to see natural light once more. So, in an effort to nudge Arthur in the right direction, he began to drop subtle hints over the last week about him possibly accompanying the older man when they landed at the port. Unfortunately, his hinting must have been too subtle, for the pirate had yet to mention anything to him.

Which was what led him to his current state of racing down the hallway, scrambling to button up his shirt while simultaneously running to make it before Arthur departed. The night before they had landed, a number of devices miraculously malfunctioned all within the course of a few hours. First it was the tea kettle, then automatic doors within the sleeping quarters, then it was the program that controlled the steering. Just as he finished fixing one thing, another one broke until his work was so overloaded, it was sure to spill over into the next day. He might have questioned the strangeness of the occurrences had he not been so frustrated. But he managed to keep a cool head and worked throughout the whole night to finish-only managing to sleep a couple hours on the hard surface of his desk.

By the time he had awoke, the ship had landed and the entire crew was bustling about in preparation. In his panic, Alfred stumbled out of the control room and broke out into a full on sprint. Please let it be that he hasn’t left yet. Please let it be he hasn’t left yet… He came to a halt when he spotted a familiar head of choppy blond locks and instantly, a smile broke across his face. Why had he been so worried? Arthur wouldn’t have left without him. In fact, he was probably waiting in order to surprise him!

The engineer beamed excitedly and quickly moved to Arthur’s side. “Arthur! I was hoping I would catch you before you left. There is something, oh! Sorry!” He slapped his hand against his forehead at his foolishness and leaned in to press a chaste kiss against the pirates cheek, never mind the fact that the entire ship could be watching. “Morning!” Alfred flashed him a happy grin as he reached down to take Arthur’s hand. “Anyway, seeing as you haven’t left yet, I was kind of hoping I could go with you. It’s been a while since I’ve been outside, and I would really, really like to go. I promise I wont embarrass you or anything. Please Arthur?” He begged, blue eyes shining with the utmost innocence.

((Gah, so freaking long... Sorry about that! The backstory kind of got away from me))

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:29 am

Arthur Kirkland was glad to finally be captain again. His fears of abandonment had been mostly swept away. He was once more a functional crew member and a terrifying captain. Plus, Arthur was a bit of a busybody. He simply enjoyed being busy with work or tasks. The hustle and bustle of the ship life was quite a relief, especially when compared with being bedridden for so long. Not to mention, he enjoyed the bonus of spending time with Alfred. They were together, and well, Arthur liked being so close to him, even if the grumpy pirate had a tendency to deny such allegations.

Alfred's lessons were progressing quite well, Arthur had to admit. The other man was always curious and learned quickly. Arthur had to remind himself not to harp too much about Alfred's childish handwriting. The engineer simply needed more practice. Though it would be a lie if Arthur claimed there wasn't a certain charm to the others misshaped letters. It was always a pleasant surprise to find the little scraps of paper shoved under his door. Arthur would always check to make sure nobody was watching when he picked them up. He would examine them with a fond smile before squirreling them away in a safe spot. The words were always a sort of pick-me-up for Arthur, a gentle reminder that Alfred was there, and that he cared. He would never admit such a thing though. If asked, he would claim he threw them out after criticizing Alfred (he never did, however).

Arthur slowly grew comfortable in their relationship. He was thankful that Alfred had not pushed for further trust. Such efforts were difficult for Arthur, and so he was hesitant to do so. For the moment, he decided, it was enough to just be with Alfred. Unfortunately, Arthur's sense of complacency was doomed to be disturbed.

The engineer had been dropping hints, well if one uses the term "hint" loosely. Alfred was about a subtle as an elephant with air horns attached to its feet. Arthur felt the ugly parasite of anxiety worm it's way back into his mind. Alfred wanted to leave. He wanted to get out, and Arthur didn't know if that included returning to him. He tried to tell himself that it was a stupid fear, but that little voice in his head was always there with a retort. Alfred could have been faking this relationship. They hadn't done anything, and Alfred hadn't said much about himself nor pressed Arthur for the skeletons in his closet. The last month of complacency could've been nothing more than an illusion.

It took a lot of inner debate, and purposefully avoiding the topic with Alfred, for Arthur to settle on a decision. He would trust that Alfred cared for him, but he wouldn't let the other off the ship. He didn't want to test Alfred's loyalty. As with the walls around his heart, the pirate did not want to give anyone the opportunity to betray him.

Unfortunately the other man had not taken the hint, Arthur had been too subtle he feared, so the only option was to take drastic measures. Summoning all his skills of technological incompetency, Arthur had sabotaged various devices on the ship. With any luck, these would keep Alfred busy until Arthur had left.

Arthur's plan seemed to be working, well until he was just about to leave. Alfred had picked this time to run up and start babbling about how he wanted to go outside. Damn, the boy's earnestness made Arthur feel terrible about refusing the other's request to go outside. "Alfred... I hate to bring this up, but have you really fixed all those devices? I can't allow you to leave the ship if you haven't completed your job. It's simply the rules on my ship. I can't have any member of my crew slack off," Arthur gently tried to let Alfred down. Though Arthur had a sinking feeling that the other would try to pester him into going.

(( It's okay! Long posts are fun! Though time consuming. Okay so I just like to use this as an excuse to procrastinate. Shush ))

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:14 am

Alfred F. Jones was not particularly observant. Back when he was a student in the Federation, he was unaware of the teasing he had suffered from his peers due to his poor grades and the awkward adolescent phase he never seemed to outgrow. Even when he was a small child back on T'Mani, he could not pick up on negative emotions and continued on as oblivious as ever. Perhaps it was a defense mechanism he had developed due to his past or maybe it was simply an unfortunate characteristic he had taken on, but for whatever reason - it was there to stay. Because of this, despite how obviously uncomfortable Arthur looked when Alfred made his desires known, the engineer remained as clueless as ever. In his mind, there was nothing even remotely out of the ordinary about this situation, which left him seeing no reason to behave any differently. So, when the captain finished his little speech, Alfred couldn't help but laugh.

“Uh huh! Everything has been taken care of Arthur! I stayed up all night to be sure of that!” The last thing he had wanted was for it to seem like he wasn’t pulling his weight. Just because he and the captain were ‘together’, he wasn't granted any freebies. He had to work hard and be as helpful as possible if he wanted to make a good impression with the rest of the crewmates - which was the reason he had decided to forgo sleep in favor of repairing the broken devices. He wanted Arthur to take him out because he deserved it, not simply because they were currently in a relationship.

Seeing as that was now cleared up, Alfred was all but bouncing up in down in happy anticipation at the prospect of seeing the outside world for the first time in many months. It never occurred to him that even though he had completed his designated tasks that Arthur could potentially not wish for him to go at all. The grumpy captain who he had grown so fond of would never deny him the opportunity to leave the ship if he truly wanted to - he cared for him far too much to ever do that. “I can’t wait to see a sun again! It’s been so long. And fresh air! And the people! Can we go now Arthur?” He asked, tugging excitedly on his arm, blue eyes wide with glee. A day outside the ship with Arthur, what could possibly be better then that? Alfred couldn't think of anything he would enjoy more. Speaking of, why hadn’t they left yet? They only had today to go out and enjoy themselves! Well, sort of - Arthur probably had to do pirate things - but Alfred could overlook that. “Please Arthur?" He begged, already half pulling the other man towards the door. Absolutely nothing could sour Alfred's mood.

((Finals? What finals? I don't have finals! I don't know what you're talking about...))

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:38 am

Arthur felt his heart sink as the other explained that all the chores had been finished. Alfred was that desperate to leave the ship and get away from him, Arthur felt a little queasy at the thought. The other man had given up sleep in order to use this chance, probably an excellent chance to finally escape. How could Arthur stop him? He had to try, he told himself. "You gave up your sleep? Alfred, are you sure you are okay?" Arthur asked. He was rather concerned about Alfred pulling an all-nighter, after all. He could start there and maybe find a way to convince Alfred to stay on the ship without having to yell at the other man.

Then Alfred began to bounce up and down excitedly. Arthur found this behavior reminiscent of a five year old (and quite adorable). Alfred was purely overjoyed and excited, and Arthur felt even more queasy when he reminded himself that he needed to crush this. It was to keep Alfred by his side, he told himself. But the thought of saying no to such an incredibly happy Alfred was so very daunting. A part of Arthur very much wanted to take Alfred by the hand and let him go out. But a more cynical part of his brain coupled that image with one of Alfred leaving him behind. Arthur swallowed, working up courage and willpower. He could assert himself, no matter how much the thought of making Alfred's smile disappear killed him inside.

"If you haven't slept, perhaps you should go to bed. I don't want you to exhaust yourself and get hurt," Arthur winced on the inside. He was not starting off firm. Alfred was simply going to badger and whine more. "You really should stay Alfred," that was more like it. Though he wasn't sure Alfred was going to listen to him. But how could he explain his fears about this? The engineer would surely laugh it off before letting Arthur's fears come true and... Arthur knew he should trust Alfred a bit more than this. But his anxieties made such good arguments against such a thing.

(( Done with finals~ So I'll actually be back to replying! Haha, sorry this took a while. ))

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:36 am

The door stood open only a few yards away, taunting him with the light breeze that wafted in from the outside world. There was a light scent of something floral and natural accompanying the breath of fresh air, which only served to draw him closer to the doorway. This wasn’t a particularly impressive planet by any means. It would serve as a short stop at one of the many black market ports to pick up supplies before the ship headed out once more. Yet, after many months of being greeted by the same grey walls and stale air, he was eager to enjoy as much of the natural world as he possibly could. If only Arthur would stop being such a mother hen, they could go already!

“I’ve pulled all-nighters before Arthur, it’s not a big deal.” Alfred flashed the pirate captain his brightest smile accompanied with a reassuring hand squeeze. “I’ll be fine. Really.” Who knew the older man was such a worry-wart? Sure he could understand being a little concerned, but anything more was silly. Alfred had been looking forward to this outing for weeks and he wasn’t about to anything get in the way of it. Surely Arthur realized how important this was to him. He had to know that the young man was going crazy being stuck within the ship all the time. It made him feel like he was still a prisoner to some degree. Ridiculous, wasn’t it?

Alfred’s smile refused to fade, even as Arthur once again told him to stay behind. “I don’t want to stay Arthur. I want to go out with you. It will be like a date! We’ve never had one of those before.” He bounced up and down excitedly at the idea. Black market or not, they could pretend that they were a regular couple out shopping together. “We could go to eat too! And then we can walk around and hold hands, like they do in the movies! This is going to be so much fun!” And there he went - off on one of his infamous rants. He scarcely paid attention to the nonsense coming out of his mouth he was so excited. A day outside with Arthur - that was exactly what the two of them needed. Alfred wanted to get to know the captain better, but neither of them found it easy to relinquish some of their darker secrets. A change of atmosphere would provide the chance for them to speak more freely with one another. Or so Alfred hoped.

((Yay! Congratulations with being done!! And don't worry - school always comes first.))

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:39 pm

Arthur blushed and looked away as the engineer flashed his dazzling smile and reassuringly squeezed the pirate's hand. It was as if Alfred had forgotten he was a prisoner! What if Alfred remembered that he wanted to leave this ship and Arthur for good? Arthur felt a sick swirl of anxiety and guilt twist around in his gut. He couldn't let Alfred leave, he simply couldn't.

Arthur felt his heart twist up when Alfred suggested they go on a date. He wanted to say yes, but again, he feared this was an escape attempt. Then, Alfred began to babble, but Arthur couldn't bring himself to listen to the stream of words that flowed from the taller man's mouth. What was he going to do? He couldn't let Alfred leave this ship, but the other man wasn't listening to him at all. The ugly wrenching feeling in his insides grew worse as Arthur's frown deepened.

"Alfred, you are not leaving this ship," Arthur said, though it was more of a growl than a statement. He was mad at Alfred, he was mad at himself, he wasn't mad at Alfred, he wasn't mad at himself. He didn't know where this bitter anger had appeared from, but he couldn't contain it. "I am the captain, and I said for you to stay on the damn ship! So listen to me!" Arthur snapped irritably. He was overreacting, but he couldn't hit the brakes. "Go back to your quarters and don't come out until I'm back!"

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Alfred’s happy rant came to a sudden, indefinite stop. His blue eyes widened and his usually untainted smile slowly faded away. Arthur’s anger was something he had become quite familiar with during his time on the Dramatic Exit, but it had never reared it’s ugly head without reason. “What? Jeez Arthur,” Alfred tried to laugh, but the cold truth quickly came into sharp focus, making his laughter sound forced. Arthur wasn’t going to let him off the ship - he never was. Every small bit of hope he had attained had been imagined.

He let his grip on Arthur‘s hand slip and he took a hesitant step backwards. “So what, you’re going to leave me here then?” He shook his head in disbelief. Arthur wouldn’t do this to him. Arthur cared about him too much to treat him a prisoner. Yet here he was, demanding in that poison tone of his to follow orders. Alfred‘s heart ached painfully. “I get to go wait in my room like a good little boy for you come home, is that it? And I get absolutely no say whatsoever?” No voice, no power, no freedom - it was a story he knew all to well. But Arthur knew better. He knew what his freedom meant to him, he knew what this would do to him!

Anger began to pump through his veins and the dam burst. “This is bullshit!” Alfred snapped, his eyes now flashing in aggression. All month long he had deluded himself into thinking that this man saw him as something more than a valuable engineer, but he was wrong. He was still just a piece of fucking property. “I am not your damn slave Arthur; you don’t tell me what I can and can’t do! And I am going outside whether you fucking like it or not.” This time, he did not wait for the other man to respond. He wasn’t out to please the pirate captain any longer, he wasn’t looking to improve their relationship or go on a date; he was going to set foot out those damn doors if it killed him. Alfred turned his back on Arthur, crossed the length of the floor, eyes trained only on the opening before him. Just a few more steps and he would finally taste the sun again. If only Arthur’s betrayal wasn’t weighing so heavily on his heart, the victory wouldn’t be so bitter.

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Arthur Kirkland on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:46 am

Arthur's hand felt dreadfully empty as Alfred pulled away and stepped backwards. The other man began to hurl true accusations at him. Arthur felt the guilt in him throb, tearing a bigger hole in his chest. He opened his mouth to protest, but that ugly little voice inside his head reminded him that he didn't deserve to claim he was only trying to keep things in order. He had tried to trick Alfred into staying on the ship, and now Alfred hated him. Arthur wondered if Alfred would have found another reason to hate him if they had left the ship together.

Arthur tried not to flinch at Alfred's angry outburst. As the man passed, Arthur wanted to reach out, to grab the engineer's hand, and hold him close. The pirate's arm, however, remained firmly by his side. He looked down to it, then looked back at Alfred. The other man was on the threshold, threatening to make Arthur's fears come true. Arthur mentally cursed himself. He had to find some words, any words for this. His throat was dry, his lips chapped, and his worst fears were coming true.

"F-fine then. Leave," Arthur said with a shaky voice. His pride wouldn't allow him to run to Alfred and beg the other's forgiveness. Everything was coming out all wrong anyways, Arthur noted, so why shouldn't he just say the opposite of what he wanted? He sincerely doubted that the engineer would forgive him or even believe him if Arthur tried to apologize. The pirate was used to being alone. Everything would just return to the way that they were, no matter how much this hurt, or how empty Arthur felt. Alfred had helped him, given him a leg, and Arthur had hurt him.

Arthur averted his eyes from the doorway, he didn't want to watch Alfred walk away. He was so ashamed of himself.

Lord Arthur Kirkland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:02 am

Alfred stood at the threshold. Beyond that door lay exactly what he had been dreaming of ever since he was taken onboard all those months ago. The air was fresh and clean, the sky wide and blue, only marred by a few white clouds lazily moving across its flawless canvas, and the sun - the sun was absolutely breathtaking. It’s golden rays bathed the entire planet in light - he wanted nothing more to lay out and soak up as much of it as he could. He wanted it all. Then why was it he couldn’t bring himself to step beyond the ships boundaries?

Arthur was behind him still, but he had not moved since Alfred had begun his fit of rage. Out all the reactions he had come to expect from the captain during their arguments, this was by far the most shocking. Had it been anger or denial, Alfred could have finished the short trek with ease and felt no guilt about it, but this… Arthur never sounded this weak before. The anger slowly ebbed away, leaving the young engineer feeling hallow and unsure of himself. “Why don’t you want me to leave the ship Arthur?” He asked softly, still looking out the door. A light breeze came up to play with his locks of corn silk colored hair, but he paid it no mind. Somehow, he wasn't quite so eager to leave as he had been before. “What was so important that you had to lie to me?”

He turned back to the older man, an uncharacteristically serious frown tugging at his lips. “There had to be some good reason.” Alfred crossed back to Arthur, although he remained purposefully out of reach. He may have come back to hear the other out, but he wasn’t going to provide any of his usual comfort until he got some answers. “Did you break all those devices too? To keep me on this ship so you wouldn’t have to explain yourself?” The tea kettle had been first - he should have realized something was up then. “Give me a reason Arthur. You can’t have done all this simply to hurt me.”

Sheriff Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top