Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Town is Big Enough...

2 posters

Page 11 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Go down

This Town is Big Enough... - Page 11 Empty Re: This Town is Big Enough...

Post by Crocky Kirkland Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:52 am

Arthur leaned in the doorway in the small washroom, watching Alfred was he cleaned up his appearance. He silently noted at Alfred's statement of getting his hair cut. Arthur figured he could do it, after all he had been doing his own, until his family found, with a knife. He was sure with a knife and someone else cutting Alfred's hair wouldn't come out as odd as his did. The American's next words knocked him from his thinking.

"Alfred, it's fine, Peter doesn't have the best manners, and you've never had to really use yours." Arthur said, he knew he mother wouldn't be offended, after all she had married into the rich world from the middle class. "Besides, this isn't some fancy dinner, and no one is ready to jump on you if you do something wrong." Arthur said gently patting Alfred's arm, before going to wash up.

He followed Alfred to the table, taking a seat next to him, as well as by his mother, and placing his napkin on his lap. The food looked as good as it always did. Evan and Peter sat across them, Peter happily talking about how amazing it was to see the cattle come in and the cowboys. Once everyone was seated, they started serving the food.
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:15 am

Arthur’s reassurance that everything would be alright relaxed him. As the Kirkland brothers sat at the table (Peter going off on a long rant about cowboys), he allowed himself to ease into the informality of the dinner. He offered happy smiles to everybody around the table as they passed plates of homemade food. He was careful not to take too much of anything, and still remain courteous to the hostess. Once everybody was served, he offered a grateful thanks accompanied with another bright smile before beginning to eat.

The food was so heavenly he found it difficult not to rush as he ate. With a surprising amount of discipline he ate slowly, savoring the taste as best he could. Still, despite his best efforts he finished much faster than he intended. He flushed a bit, but nobody seemed to care. Feeling much more comfortable, he joined in on the conversation and laughed easily. Before he realized it, the evening was drawing to a close and everybody was getting up to go to bed for the night. A wave of panic rushed through him as the lanterns were being extinguished and the darkness settled back in.

“Arthur!” He grabbed the smaller blonds arm, unable to help himself. As subtly as he possibly could, he pulled him away from the rest of his family that were still wandering about the downstairs area. When he was sure that nobody was listening in, he turned to Arthur, his blue eyes wide and afraid. “Sleep with me tonight.” He leaned forward, hiding his face in the crook of Arthur’s neck and slowly began taking deep, calming breaths. Why did it have to get so dark out here? “Please? I’m afraid to be alone again.”
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:00 am

Dinner was rather well behaved. Usually someone was having an argument with someone and their mother was hushing them. However the conversation was nice and light, aside form a spat Arthur had with Peter it was fine and relaxing. Even Alfred got in on the conversation, which made Peter's day all the more better. Evan was curious as to the live in the west, and how Arthur had grown so use to it's roughness. After all they hadn't visited American before and as a small child Arthur was always catching something that made him ill. She mother just happily listened, talking a bit here and there with the host as they spoke from time to time. However it was nice to talk just sit and talk with everyone and have Alfred there.

Eventually night rolled around more and Arthur noticed the panic on Alfred's face hardly before the man grabbed him and pulled him aside. Arthur cringed a bit a the grip. He knew Alfred didn't mean to hurt him, but in his fear the American's strength hurt. However his question knock Arthur's mind way from the grip, and more towards the man burying his face in Arthur's neck. "Yes, of course," he said easily, he could easily think of some reason to tell his family why he would be with Alfred if they found them. Honestly after a traumatic experience there are few people one would trust, and naturally they would be clinging to any one of their people. "Just let me tell my family we're turning in for the night." He said gently, trying to free himself a bit from Alfred's hold.

He peeked his head around to where his family was. "Alfred and I are going to turn in for the night. I'm going to sleep in Alfred's room tonight, make sure everything runs smoothly tonight." Arthur said with a grin and his family made not to little objection to him sleeping in Alfred's room. He had explained before a bit of the mental damage done after something like that happening, his school studies and reading coming in handy.

"Alright, Arthur, just get some rest tonight, please." His mother said with a grin, "I hope you get some good rest as well Alfred, Peter seems fixed on you teaching him those rope tricks."
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Alfred offered Mrs. Kirkland a smile, still just half suppressing the urge to cling tightly onto Arthur’s arm. “I’ll teach him in the morning,” He promised, glancing around nervously as the shadows set in around him. When the sun is out… He managed to stay relatively calm throughout the rest of the goodnights and slowly made his way up the stairs. When the Kirkland family was out of sight, he took Arthur’s hand and held on as they walked through the dim hallway. His heart jumped at every candle flicker or small creaking sound that resounded throughout the house, causing him to walk a little faster than necessary. They reached the bedroom quickly and Alfred wasted no time pulling open the door and rushing to the bed.

Throwing all sense of modesty aside, he pulled up the covers and dove in, huddling underneath like a child after a nightmare. Inside his little cocoon was dark, but it was a darkness he could control. In there he felt safe, although the pressing intensity of the fear weighed around him. “Arthur,” He whined helplessly underneath the sheets. He was acting like a child and he knew it. The last time he behaved as such was when the townspeople used to gather to tell ghost stories. Not that he was afraid of course. It was just that he found it more comfortable to sleep with his face covered on nights like that. The house creaked again and he shook pathetically. “Hold me please!” He managed to squeak out, burying himself deeper within the piles of blankets. “Please just distract me.”
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Arthur followed Alfred up the stairs till the American took his hand and hurried along the hallway. Arthur chuckled a bit when the American dove into the bed and hid under the covers. Arthur eased the door closed and locked it quietly, easing the chair to the side a bit, before sitting down on the bed and taking off his shoes. Alfred just continued to prove he was some huge overgrown child. Arthur loosened his pants and eased his shirt open a bit more before easing himself over to the talking pile of sheets.

"Well I can't hold or distract you if your bloody bundled up like that." Arthur snapped lightly poking at the sheets wondering what he should do to distract the American. After all Arthur could do a lot of things. "Besides how do you want me to distract you?" He asked leaning a bit closer to the pile of blankets.
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Alfred could feel Arthur’s presence beside him, helping calm him down enough to pull the sheets aside a bit. Once his head was free, he gave the Englishman a look better suited for a little boy. His hair was mussed and his eyes wide with a mixture of fear and pleading. He pushed through the bundles of fabric and grabbed for Arthur, pulling him down so he could hide his face against his chest. “I don’t know,” He mumbled, pulling lightly on the back of the Brit’s shirt. He just wanted to the darkness to fade away. He just wanted to feel safe again and right now the only person who made him feel safe was Arthur.

The young man pulled back and looked up at Arthur’s face, begging for something to make him feel that way again. “I just need you Arthur.” He admitted quietly, pulling him close again - only this time, he hid his face within the crook of Arthur’s neck. Slowly he forced himself to relax against the bed, taking slowly deep breaths and keeping his eyes squeezed closed. Arthur would keep him safe. Nobody was going to sneak in during the middle of the night and take him back to that cold, dark place. He never had to be locked away from the sun - he was free. Alfred let out a soft sigh, feeling much calmer than he had been a moment ago. Arthur’s warm body pressing against him helped remind him that things were as they should be once more, although every creak and squeak within the house set him on edge again. “Arthur,” He groaned whenever this happened, squeezing his eyes shut tighter than before.
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:51 am

Arthur knew Alfred could be clingy, and he wasn't complaining about it, he just never thought Alfred could be that clingy. Arthur had grinned at Alfred when he surfaced from below the blankets, only to yelp when he was pulled down. Still he easily wrapped his arms around Alfred and held him close, humming a bit as he talked. Arthur ran his fingers through the American's hair, whole is mind thought about what Alfred had been saying. I just need you, Arthur he repeated in his head. Words again he never thought he would hear, at least in a none sexual way.

He felt Alfred relax a bit in his hold. Only to feel him tense up a bit at ever little sound the house made. "I'm right here, I'm not going to leave, Alfred." Arthur said gently. "Not even for England." Arthur said quietly.
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Alfred slowly pulled back, staring up at Arthur’s face with shock written clearly across it. Had he honestly just said what he thought he had? Or was it simply wishful thinking on his part? The young American quietly observed the others face, looking for signs that what he heard was simply a tool for comfort rather than the truth. He saw nothing of the sort. A happy flush began to form over his cheeks and despite his previous fear, a small honest smile crept up as well. “You’re staying?” He repeated quietly, pulling Arthur closer, his blue eyes hopeful. “As in… here? With me?”

Alfred tried desperately to restrain himself, but after hearing those beautiful words, he found he could not restrain himself. Slipping a hand behind Arthur’s neck, he pulled him down so that their lips meet in a passionate kiss. His eyes drifted closed as he poured all of his emotions into that single kiss. His thanks, admiration, and most importantly - his love. He felt almost dizzy when he pulled away, but not in a bad away in the least. He smiled like an idiot and buried his face happily within the Englishman’s blond locks. “Thank you so much,” He whispered, placing another kiss against his brow. “I love you Arthur.” More than you know...
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Arthur was a bit shocked by the sudden kiss, it took him a bit to react. He did happily, his hands gripping Alfred's back. Arthur could feel every emotion the American was putting forth and he happily tried to return them. Arthur had never been good and getting his emotions out well in a kiss, they never seemed to translate correctly. The kiss managed to pull a huge smile from his lips. He knew staying was probably shorting his life span, than if he went back to England. Still there was nothing in England any more. He wouldn't know what to do with his life, and so for, ever since he meet Alfred, there hadn't been a dull day. The Englishman wasn't sure what to say back to Alfred. "Love you too." He whispered back.

He smiled softly, think back to the fight Scott and him had gotten into over his decision to stay in America and life the rather crazy life he had come to enjoy living. Evan had had to drag Arthur out of the room, still kicking and yelling out of fear that Scott might have but him under again. However it had always been Arthur's choice. His brother's knew Arthur like earning things, and not being handed them, at least when he was trying hard already. Still in the days of the failing business he had begged to for a way home, which his father had declined and left him there. At the time Arthur knew there was no way he could just leave when the business was dead, he would have next to nothing, he didn't care what he would have to do to get back, but then he meet Alfred and it had all changed.

"I got in a fight with Scott about it," Arthur said lightly, taking a breath of Alfred's scent. "I mean, I use to get in fights a lot with my older brothers when I was younger, but it had never been anything like this. I just can't leave." Arthur said grinning before pulling away a bit to look at Alfred's face. "That doesn't mean I don't want to visit though." He said firmly.
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:29 pm

No matter how many times Arthur said it, Alfred’s heart would continue to skip a beat each and every time he heard that he was loved. He beamed happily and tilted his head back against the pillow, choosing not to speak and ruin this perfect moment. Instead he contented himself with playing with the short strands of hair just barely brushing against Arthur’s neck and staring into those pools of emerald. It was surreal to think about how much time had passed since their chance encounter all those months ago. How much had changed since than. He was in love and being loved - and there was no greater feeling in the world.

He frowned slightly when he heard that Arthur’s decision to stay had caused an argument with his brother. Although he and Mattie had not grown up together (passed seven years of age), he couldn’t imagine arguing with him about anything other than playful matters. “I understand why your family would be concerned.” After all, the first thing they see when they come to visit is Arthur’s half dead body. It was no wonder they wanted him to reconsider - it was probably a smarter move and would keep Arthur alive for longer. Still, Alfred was selfish and he wanted Arthur to stay with him. Besides, he felt that after all the horrors they had gone through, there was nothing they couldn’t handle together. He would become stronger so he too could protect Arthur like he had protected him.

Alfred smiled and twisted his body, pulling Arthur down onto the bed beside him. “Could I come with you to England? I mean, I’ll be an embarrassment with my lack of manners and my unsophisticated dress,” He grinned, leaning closer to the Brit with a playful look in his eyes, “But I really would love to see where you come from.” It was here that he leaned forward and stole another quick kiss, savoring the unique taste that belonged solely to Arthur. He sighed happily against his lips before pulling back again, settling contently back against the sheets. The darkness still surrounded them, but he felt safe where he was. Nothing would harm him while he was there.

Alfred sat up and kicked off his boots (in his fear, he had neglected to take them off) and undid his belt, setting it on the beside table. He than focused on pulling his shirt up over his head, tossing it onto the floor to deal with later. Once he felt comfortable, he slid back into the covers with a sigh. “Much better.” He smiled and turned back to Arthur, happily snuggled into the warm sheets. They should sleep, he knew that (especially considering he had yet to recover completely), but now that his fear had dissipated, he was more interested in making up for lost time. He slid forward, pulling Arthur up close against him. “I’ve missed you Arthur,” He murmured, just barely brushing their lips together.
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:45 am

"Of course you could come with me," Arthur said like it was the most ridiculous thing to think Alfred couldn't come with him at all, after the young sheriff pulled away. He would get too lonely too fast and want to go back sooner than the people around him would like. It might make reunions with Alfred all the more sweeter and worth it, but would be too worried thinking about what Alfred was going rather than focusing on his visit. "Honestly I think everyone would understand. Kirklands tend to keep some strange company when we want to."

Arthur hoped Alfred could take in the scale of London. as well as all the beautiful things about it. The old architecture, the little shops buried about in the city, the palace, maybe even the rain. Arthur paused a bit in his thinking, there hadn't been much rain in the west. Hardly any compared to London. Arthur somewhat missed the rain.

He was knocked from his thoughts by Alfred pulling him comfortably towards him. It was night, the door was lock, no one was going to coming in. Arthur happily pressed as close as he could to Alfred, missing the feeling of his body against his own. He grinned at Alfred's words and happily said, "I missed you like you wouldn't believe." Arthur had practically torn apart the west from the man, and made a rather big annoyance in the criminal world. He was sure he had a target or two on his back but he could really careless if it meant the moment they were having.

Arthur gave a quick peck at Alfred's lips. "We should probably get some rest, Peter will be on you in the morning."
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:04 am

A smile tugged at Alfred’s lips when the Englishman responded with such vigor. Good, apparently he wasn’t the only one who disliked the idea of being separated for long periods of time again. To be honest though, he wasn’t too keen on the idea of leaving the home he had grown to love (especially not for England - didn’t it rain all the time there or something?), but if it meant staying by Arthur’s side, he would happily do it. As long as it wasn’t for too long. He didn’t think he could stand being parted from the west for long, despite all the trails he had experienced here. It was his home and he loved it. The untamed beauty and the hard work he put in daily - it was his entire world.

“I’m glad,” He responded, happily placing another kiss over Arthur’s soft lips. “London is probably really different from anything I’ve ever seen before.” He tilted his head up slightly, wondering what kind of sights would await them in England. He imagined Arthur fitting right back in (it had been his home after all). The green-eyed man would no doubt be at the height of society with all his fancy speech and manners, while he would be left bumbling around without any inclination as to what was appropriate. Alfred inwardly winced. Yes, he was going to have a difficult time in England, that was for sure. Hopefully Arthur wouldn’t be too upset with him - he hadn’t exactly been raised in ‘high society‘.

At Arthur’s words, he let out a soft sigh but nodded. He didn’t want to sleep (he had been sleeping for two full days apparently), but his body obviously still needed the rest. “You’re right,” He conceded, pulling the blankets over them both. They only had a few days left with the Kirkland family, and he knew that Arthur would not want to waste a moment of it. Alfred smiled and gave the other a peck on the lips. “I wouldn’t want to disappoint your brother. He’s a pretty cute kid. I like him.” He chuckled lightly and settled down into the blankets. The house was quiet now - he could only make out the singing of the desert crickets from outside his bedroom. Alfred let his clear blue eyes drift closed. “Goodnight,” He murmured, his grip tightening marginally around Arthur. He was still there within his arms and no force was going to tare them apart. With this thought in mind, Alfred allowed himself to be pulled into the blissful state of unconsciousness once more.
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Arthur grinned, at least Alfred thought Peter was cute. Peter had been a cute child, but he was a younger brother, and sometimes not never cute to Arthur. Especially ever since he learned the word jerk. Sure Peter attaches it their other brothers as well, however Arthur hears it more attacked to his name more. Still the boy did had his moments of "cuteness" that Arthur had learned to black mail back with. Ever since the found Arthur, Peter had bothered into the dark hours of the night with questions about the west. "If you say so," Arthur said with a shrug, snuggling a bit closer as the blanket was pulled around him. "Good night Alfred."

The Englishman waited for Alfred to fall asleep before he allowed himself start to fall asleep. The time no one was going to take Alfred, he was sure of it. They would have to go through a lot to get to him. Arthur gave a content sigh before drifting asleep.
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Alfred awoke slowly the next morning. All around him was a comfortable warmth, keeping him from wanting to wake up completely. He moaned softly and snuggled deeper within the soft sheets, pressing his body closer to the source of warmth beside him. It felt heavenly to be in a bed again after months of sleeping on concrete floors with chains holding him down. He was free to stretch and move his limbs in whatever way that pleased him, and it was a wonderful feeling.

As he gained more of an awareness, he found that he had both arms wrapped tightly around a familiar, lithe frame. He smiled happily and pressed a sleepy kiss against the Englishman’s forehead. Arthur, he thought happily as he snuggled closer to the small man. If he could awaken every morning like this, he would live to be a happy man. “Morning…” He mumbled, his sleepy blue eyes barely opened. Sunlight poured in through the open windows, filling him with happiness at the sight. Ah sun, he had missed the light and warmth it provided. He smiled and tilted down to observe the sleeping man’s face.

He looked so peaceful like this - as if he had never faced a hardship a day in his life. It made him sad to have to be the one to end his perfect serenity after having caused him so much misfortune. Alfred pulled back and maneuvered Arthur to lay on his back, pulling his hands up to rest against his flat stomach. He almost looked like an angel sleeping. “Arthur,” He murmured, running a hand down his cheek. They needed to get up and face the day - but that didn’t mean he couldn’t have a little fun first. Leaning forward, he pressed a light kiss against the sleeping man’s lips. When it didn’t immediately awaken the other man, he pouted a bit and tried again. “I thought a kiss from your true love was supposed to wake a person up,” He mused, resorting to prodding the stubborn Brit out of slumber. “Come on Artie. Time to get up."
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:06 am

Arthur had woken up at the crack of dawn, but found himself too comfortable to move out of Alfred's arms and start the day. Besides a little extra sleep never any one. He found himself falling back sleep, comfortable in Alfred's arms. He rather liked doing that, he groaned when he felt someone trying to wake him up. Arthur didn't have a lot of lazy mornings, and he was not happy having someone start to wake him up. He turned away sharply from it, but it seemed rather determined to wake him up. A grunt escaped his lips before his eyes opened and he turned back around to find Alfred attempting to get him awake. Most of his dislike for being woken up went away.

"Good Morning," Arthur said sleepily, before stretching a bit under the covers. He ached slightly, he sat up on the bed and arched his back to hopefully get rid of some of them. It worked, but he noticed the light outside the window. It had to be mid morning or something like it. Arthur was sure is family would understand way he might have been sleeping in. "Bloody hell, why didn't I wake up earlier." Arthur said running his hands through his hair.
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:22 am

Alfred smiled when Arthur began to awaken. “Morning,” He responded, placing a soft kiss against his forehead as he stretched. At his question, the American simply smiled and shrugged, glancing at the light streaming in through the window. It was later in the morning than he would have usually gotten up at, but he figured that his body was still recovering so it was understandable. “You needed the sleep,” He said, pulling Arthur up into a warm hug and gave him his chaste, morning kiss on the lips. Giving him a reassuring smile (and maybe another kiss or two), Alfred pulled away and slipped out of bed, dressing himself for the day. Although he was still weak, a few days of good rest and food had done him good and he was standing much steadier today.

“Come on sleepyhead,” He teased, tossing Arthur his shirt once he finished pulling his own back on. He felt good, ready to spend the entire day outside soaking up the sun. “I made a promise to your little brother, remember? I wouldn’t want to disappoint him.” Plus it gave him the excuse to start fitting a little exercise back into his routine. Nothing too strenuous (as not to send Arthur into a fit), but he was tired of laying around waiting to get better. To really see progress, he needed to stand on his own two feet again.

Once Arthur was dressed, the young sheriff grabbed his hand and pulled him out the door, eager for the breakfast he knew was waiting for them down the stairs. The heavenly smell of bacon and eggs wafted towards him, making his mouth salivate in hunger. Man, he could really get used to having home cooked meals like this everyday. He silently wondered if Arthur was any good at cooking. A mental image of Arthur flouncing around the kitchen in an apron filled his mind, and he had to fight to suppress the chuckle that was soon to follow. Instead he focused on staying steady as they descended the stairs. “Morning!” He greeted the room cheerfully, eyeing the food with intense interest.
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:09 pm

Arthur hated the name sleepyhead with a passion, though he didn't mind the kisses and morning cuddling Alfred was giving him. No he rather liked that, just not the term sleepyhead. He gave a bit of an annoyed growl, snatching up his shirt from the bed. Alfred's demeanor was nice and lively, but Arthur did not want to deal with it so quickly after waking up. He slide his shirt back on and adjusted his clothes to look a bit more presentable. Arthur had grown use to the comfort of the lose Western clothing, but that still didn't mean some of his old habits of dress died away. He happily let Alfred pull him out of the room and down the stairs, slipping his hand out of the other's grasp as they neared the bottom of the stairs and his family. He was sure he could stick some silly reason to it, but he wasn't in the mood to lie so soon.

"Oh, you're just in time for breakfast." Arthur's mother said smoothing a simple dress as she lead Peter out of the wash room. She grinned walking over to them and giving Arthur a quick kiss on the cheek. "Amelia made breakfast this morning, our host had to tend to some things."

Arthur had never really had Amelia's cooking, but it didn't smell horrible, in fact it smelled rather wonderful. Evan helped set some plates on the table before picking up a slice of bacon and examining it. "Wow, even with help its still burnt." Evan said with a chuckle, narrowly avoiding spoon flying across the room.

"Boys!" His mother snapped over Peter's loud laugh.

Arthur walked closer to the kitchen peeking in before he went to wash up. Scott was standing by the stove looking rather cross. "Scott helped?" Arthur asked flatly. "Forget I'll skip breakfast."

"Oi, you're one talk Art!" Scott snapped glaring at him. Arthur glared back as sharply, and Scott turned to look at Alfred. "Honestly, you might have to hold him down, while I stuff food down his mouth, Sheriff."
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Alfred blinked in confusion as the Kirkland boys began their verbal (and somewhat physical) tussle. He understood a bit of light teasing between siblings, but this seemed a little extreme. And why was Arthur so reluctant to try the food? It smelled heavenly and a little burn never hurt anybody. “I’m sure it’s not bad Artie,” He said, sitting the smaller man into a chair. Taking the seat beside him, he allowed one of the older brothers to finish serving, flashing Arthur a look every few minutes. Obviously he didn’t plan on holding the Brit down while his little brother forced fed him, but he did want to make sure that Arthur didn’t turn away a good meal when he was offered it. Honestly, he didn’t understand what could be so bad.

When everyone was served, Alfred happily took a bite than stopped. Slowly he chewed up the slightly charred meat and swallowed, trying desperately not to make a face. He may not be a picky eater by any stretch of the imagination, but even he could tell that something was not quite right about this cooking. He smiled (albeit strained) and offered a quick thanks for the meal and focused on getting through the rest of it. At least he wasn’t offered seconds.

When the meal was done with (he never thought he could live through a longer breakfast), Alfred sat back and eagerly washed down the burnt taste with a cup of fresh coffee. Thankfully the host had brewed a pot for themselves, leaving the last bit of it for his enjoyment. “Mm…” He let out a satisfied sigh and finished up the cup, setting it aside for later. “Well, I think I promised you some rope tricks,” He said with a grin, turning to the youngest Kirkland boy. The midmorning sun shone brightly through the open window, eagerly calling the American out to bask in it’s light. Hopefully Arthur wouldn’t be too opposed to him spending the majority of the day outside (for being so cranky, he was kind of a mother hen when he wanted to be). Alfred stood up and tilted his head towards the door, the grin still adoring his face. “Shall we?”
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:26 am

Alfred was probably wasn't that bad. After all Amelia seemed like a girl would could cook and with a very good effort help Scott make something that wasn't revolting. So he followed Alfred to the table and sat down waiting to be served. Once everyone was served they all started eating, well aside from Evan and Arthur who hesitated about. He noticed Alfred attempting to hide the taste and he chuckled to himself. Eventually Arthur scooped up some eggs and they were reasonable, he could definitely eat them. Conversation at the table was quiet. Everyone was politely trying to finish up the food, while Evan and Arthur had no problem. It wasn't bad considering they had eaten Scott's food when there was no help. Breakfast was done in a timely matter everyone seemed to happily accept something to drink.

Peter perked up when Alfred got up to leave. Happily shooting out of his chair (after cleaning himself up a bit) and dashed out of the door. "What are we waiting for!?" He shouted loudly as his disappeared outside the doorway.

"Rope trick?" Scott asked before getting up from the table with a grin. "Oh, I have got to see this." Scott said heading towards the door, "Lead the way Sheriff."

"Evan and Arthur, why don't you two do the dishes?" Arthur's mother suggested, helping them gather some plates as they nodded. Yet she herself hurried outside towards the outside was well, closely behind Amelia.

"Mum, make sure Alfred don't over do anything." Arthur added and she turned and gave him a grin, before heading out the door. Arthur and Evan immediately looked at each other and started chuckling, because they both had seen everyone trying to keep from spitting the food out.
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Alfred chuckled at Peter’s excitement and followed him out the door. Outside was hot, dry, and dusty, exactly like he remembered. He smiled and tilted his head up to take in more rays for the sun before turning his attention to the excited boy next to him. “Now let’s see what we can do.” Alfred grinned and turned around to find a rope to start playing around with. It had been some time before he had gotten a chance to rope for real, but he hoped that he hadn’t lost his touch. After all, it seemed that they had gathered a little bit of a crowd and he would have to disappoint them.

Alfred tied the rope with ease and created a lasso, rotating it slowly to create a circle in the air. “This is your basic lasso. Out here it’s used to be thrown at a target and tighten when it’s pulled. For example…” He swung the rope loop forward towards one of the post, catching onto it easily and tightening it with a flick of the wrist. “See? Although when it comes to moving targets, obviously aim is important.” He chuckled and stepped forward to undo the knot. The young sheriff expertly tied the knot again, creating a much larger lasso this time and began to circle it parallel to his body. When he gained enough momentum, he jumped sideways through the loop, chuckling as he just barely managed to miss the rope. “Cool, huh?” He repeated this motion a couple more times before allowing the lasso to fall against the floor, grinning like a fool. It had been so long since he had gotten a chance to do anything like this. He was a little winded from the activity, but he felt good.

“How about I teach you the lasso first?” Alfred said with a smile, handing Peter the rope to play with. Crouching down beside him, he showed him slowly how to tie the appropriate knot, repeating several times to teach the boy. Once he felt like the boy had the skills appropriate to make the knot, he stood up and grinned, standing back to give the kid some room. “Why don’t you give it a try?”
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:52 pm

To Peter, Alfred suddenly become the neatest thing in the whole galaxy. Of course all Peter had seen ropes used for was for tying boats to harbor, or lifting things, not for what Alfred was doing. He could only nod happily as Alfred asked him if it was cool. Then the fact that he was being taught be some who could do such interesting things with rope. How did Arthur find someone like him and befriend him? (Arthur was such a boring person to begin with, there was no way someone would be this cool around him.) He watched attentively as Alfred showed him how to tie the knot. Honestly Peter's friends were going to be blown away by what he could do. After Alfred stepped away, Peter attempted to tie the knot. It took a few tries, but eventually he did it correct enough for it to hold and work.

He grinned and showed Alfred. "Is that right?" He smiled brightly. "My friends back home are going to find this so cool."

Arthur and Evan had someone what come to miss their dish talks they had had as children there they would joke together about what happened at dinner, or any meal for that matter. However, eventually the chuckles died and the talk turned a bit serious.

"Patrick did what to come," Evan said handing a plate to Arthur to dry. "We told him to stay with Catherine, it's a good thing we did too." Arthur made a bit of a sound of acknowledgement. "He's going to be a bit cross he missed a good fight."

"Was it good?" Arthur asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Arts, you get into the best fights out of all of us." Evan said with a chuckle, handing Artur the last plate before grabbing another towel and drying his hands. "Now, I'm quiet interested the rope tricks, the sheriff was talking about."

"Alfred," Arthur corrected, causing Evan to look at him. "He has a name too."
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 pm

Alfred grinned and crouched down to check over the boys work. “It looks good to me.” He chuckled at his excitement, glad to find somebody who found his rope work amusing. Most people out in the west were so used to cowboys that even the best wranglers had lost their novelty. Being around a kid this young with that familiar sort of amazed gleam in his eye brought about waves of nostalgia - pulling him back to a time when he couldn’t imagine a better life than the one offered by the untamed western frontier. “How about you try and create the lasso? Here,” Alfred took the rope back and showed the youngest Kirkland how to move his wrist and arm to create a fluid movement, lifting the rope up and keeping it within it’s circled motion.

He showed him a few more times before handing the rope back with a smile. “Now just try and keep it from touching the ground. Once you can get the hang of that, we can move onto wrangling.” No doubt the young boy would find the most interest in that aspect. He could only imagine the kind of shenanigans he could get into by roping his brothers - Arthur especially. The sheriff chuckled at the thought and glanced back towards the house. From his stance outside, he could not see the British man. He was probably still inside talking with his older brothers. No doubt he would miss them greatly when they all left for home again. Would he regret his decision to remain in America? Alfred didn’t know.

The young man tilted his head, looking out at the vast desert that lay open before him. Sure Arthur had said he would make a point to visit his family, but would that be enough? He had spent all these months with them while tracking him down - it was clear he had rekindled the close bonds he had with them. Alfred bit his lip. Perhaps he should have a talk with him. Arthur clearly had no love of the west before he met Alfred, was it fair to ask him to give up the life he loved in England just to stay with him? He had saved him from a life of imprisonment and pain - he owed him no other obligations. No, Alfred was the one in his debt, not the other way around. A spark of pain shot through his heart when he realized that he could not, in good conscious, ask Arthur to stay for him. He loved the man more than anybody else in the world, and for that reason, he had to let him make the right choice. England would be better for him, safer. And if he had to give him up for Arthur to live happily - he would do it. Even if it meant that his heart would break.
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:45 am

Peter watched Alfred again carefully, it didn't look so hard. Or that's what he thought before he tried it. It took him a while to get the right motion of his wrist and then keep it. Tying thing not was a lot easier that actually swing the rope in the air. Once he got the hang of it though it wasn't that hard to keep going. There was definitely nothing like that back in England. Peter could help but think he was going to be some huge star because it was so cool to know how to do. "I think I got it now." Peter said grinning. "Can I try for the post now?" He really wanted to try it on a moving target, but he figured he had be patient. This was a skill that was too interesting to skip over parts.

Arthur filled some cups with water and placed them all on a tray. He figured everyone would be thirsty, and though his family had grown use to the heat, they still need something to drink. Arthur brought the tray out and set it out on the porch in the front of the house before walking over with three glasses of water. One for himself, Alfred, and Peter. His family could get it for themselves, and his mother had raised all of her boys to be gentlemen. In reality only Scott and Evan had to get glasses.

Joining his family from where they were watching, Arthur placed two glasses of water on a fence post, before happily taking a sip of from his own glass. Scott noticed him and gave him a look and Arthur pointed behind him at the porch. Arthur kept watching Peter and Alfred, wondering how much Peter was going to annoy him with his new found skills with lasso. Arthur had been lassoed before and ripped the poor man of his horse for trying. He had whipped around and tugged on the rope as hard has he could and caught the man by surprise.
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheriff Jones Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 am

Alfred watched the boy slowly start to get the hang of it, nodding to himself as he learned to correct his own mistakes. When he had the lasso up and moving at a respectable pace, the sheriff grinned and gave the boy a nod. The kid was certainly a fast learner as well as an eager one. No doubt he would be terrorizing the rest of the Kirkland family with his newfound skills very soon. “Go right ahead partner. You’re pretty quick,” He said with a chuckle. “Now this was the hardest part for me, so don’t worry too much if you overshoot. Just focus on getting the hang of the lassoing part. You can practice aim after that.”

When Peter had focused his attention on the rope in his hands again, Alfred glanced behind them at the family that was watching them. He caught sight of Arthur and instantly smiled. A part of him wanted to start up his own rope tricks again in hopes of impressing the Brit, but he kind of doubted that the other would find that too amusing. If anything, he might get upset that he was moving around too much. So Alfred opted instead to wave happily before turning back to Peter. His smiled died a little when he realized what he needed to do soon. Arthur deserved a long and happy life. Out here in the west was too dangerous and after all he must have done to track him down, he no doubt had made a few more enemies. Stubborn, stubborn Arthur - did he ever think about the consequences of his actions?

Alfred thought back to the conversation they had after he awoke and to the intense look Arthur had worn on his face. I couldn’t think rationally about how I should act. A flush appeared on the American’s cheeks when he remembered the passionate kiss they had shared once they had confessed their feelings properly. If it had been Arthur in that situation, he would have gone to hell and back just to get him back. He sighed and leaned heavily against the post next to him, trying to focus on the boy before him. Too many thoughts ran through his mind, making it hard for him to orient himself. Alfred shook it away for the moment, deciding that when he could catch Arthur alone, than he would worry about it. Until then, he might as well enjoy the fresh air.
Sheriff Jones
Sheriff Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crocky Kirkland Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 am

Arthur watched Alfred teaching Peter and he couldn't help but grin. Alfred was really good with kids. He honestly made an excellent brother, and would make a splendid father. Arthur knew he couldn't exactly give Alfred children, Alfred would need a woman at some time for that, and Arthur was sure there would be a time when the man fell out of love with him. Still the Englishman hoped that was a while away. Alfred was still young, and with luck maybe someone else would catch Arthur's eye as well and they would move on. But till that time came, he figured he should focus on the perfect, loving present he was in.

He hardly noticed Alfred smiling at him, and he turned his eyes else where. Hoping it came off that he hadn't noticed and Alfred could focus on Peter. Of course he watched Peter attempt to get a post. Wrangling had always fascinated him in a a way. Arthur was no stranger to rope, he could tie a ship down no problem, but he had never seen it used like it was in the West. He had noticed not many people did it for show, few people seemed interest, unless they were foreigners like Arthur himself. Arthur honestly never thought Alfred would have such skills, it always seemed to possessed by someone would worked with cattle, not some one of the law.

After countless tries, Peter eventually got the pole and everyone seemed to cheer at the fact. Arthur knew that when Peter finally figured out moving targets, Arthur was going to be the target. He couldn't just whip around and tug hard on the rope, well maybe once and hope Peter would get the message.
Crocky Kirkland
Crocky Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum